This empathy lesson and activity is fun, interactive, and impactful! Students work in pairs or groups throughout an empathy obstacle course, completing missions at 5 different stations. These hands-on stations help put students in the shoes of those who have difficulty staying focused, are blind or have poor sight, have one arm or a broken arm, and are in a difficult social or home situation. Students will also reflect on the terms of empathy, sympathy, and perspective-taking through a poster activity, and will reflect on the overall obstacle course at the end of this lesson. This obstacle course requires 60 minutes total, and can be broken down into multiple sessions. See preview for a small sample
This download includes:
- Color-coded materials for 5 stations, all available in black and white as well to print on colored paper:
- 1 yellow station direction sign and 6 task cards
- 1 purple station direction sign and 3 poster labels
- 1 blue station direction sign (this station students are blindfolded and walk through an actual obstacle course!)
- 1 green station direction sign, 5 scenario cards, answer packet
- 1 red station direction sign, 6 task cards, 6 distraction cards, answer packet
- Obstacle course reflection packet
- Reminder posters, 3 in color & 3 in BW (to leave behind in classroom after lesson)
- DETAILED directions and lesson plan
- SEL standards met
Pro Tip: For any obstacle course or center-type lesson, modeling each station/center beforehand and using a louder timer or call back can make a world of difference! By modeling, students should be able to use each station/center without having to ask for help, and you will be able to determine they are following the directions correctly.
*Looking for more of an intro lesson to this topic? I teach my perspective-taking class lesson right before this one!
Copyright © Kylie The Creative Social Worker. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. Simply refer friends, co-workers, and colleagues back to this product page to purchase themselves. See product file for clip-art and font credits.
Questions or product requests? E-mail me at: email@example.com
You can also connect with me on:
There are no reviews yet.